Monday, December 13, 2010

Winter Wonderland - The Blog Carolling Tradition


I'm out carolling, carolling on this cold winter night with many of the ancestors and other rellies - the AXNERS, BROSTRÖMS, CARMICHAELS, DRUMMONDS, ERIKSSENS, GILCHRISTS, JOHANSONS, LÖFHOLMS, IRWINS, ROGERS, RYDBERGS, SAGGERS, SCOTTS, WHITES, and ZETTERBERGS and some I don't yet recognize. (Good thing I brought my netbook. Even while we're singing, I'm asking some questions and making notes.)

This special Carolling Night is now a GeneaBloggers tradition. Oh, dear, am I going to have to explain blogging to the great greats? (In antique Swedish or Gaelic??? Oh, my!) Even most of the 'old' songs we sing now aren't familiar to the family; this one was only written in the 1930s. But so far everyone is singing something and smiling, and admiring all the lights, so we're all good.

And, we'll share cocoa and Nanaimo bars later. Pretty sure the treats won't need any long explanations, but someone might want a recipe.

Right now we're singing one of my very favourite songs, "Winter Wonderland" by composer Felix Barnard and lyricist Richard B. Smith. While some of you know this has a bit of romance in it for me, snow where I live in the balmy southwest of British Columbia is an experience in itself, although there's tons on the mountains. Most days that's where I think it belongs, but I must admit once in a while it feels great to be out in the almost dark walking and singing while catching snowflakes in my mittens.

"When it snows, ain't it thrilling,
Though your nose gets a chilling
We'll frolic and play, the Eskimo way,
Walking in a winter wonderland."
Full lyrics here.

Listen for us after the 15th of December when we'll be carolling at FootnoteMaven's place where she's hosting the FootnoteMaven Blog Caroling Tradition.

In the meantime, here's Cyndi Lauper singing "Winter Wonderland".



Cyndi Lauper, apparently performing on a Martha Stewart programme, uploaded by GilbertKiper at youtube.com, 15 Jun 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment